Thursday, November 29, 2012

Project Dressing Well (on a budget!)



Goodbyes has two shops. The men's store and women's sale items are on side of the street, and the women's shop is across the street. 

Here's a new reality TV show idea, "Project Dressing Well." Give contestants a minimum amount of money and an event to attend and see who can pull together the best look for the least cost. If I were on that show, I'd hit a consignment shop first and top of my list would be Goodbyes on Sacramento Street in San Francisco.


The women's shop.

Last weekend, Matt and I observed Small Business Saturday by avoiding the Union Square holiday crush and instead we strolled beautiful, calm Sacramento Street. Our first stop: Goodbyes. They accepted most of the items I brought to consign, which included these boots. I hope they make someone very happy because they certainly didn't work for me. And what they didn't take, the woman was very sweet and apologetic, giving me the reason why for each. While I was consigning, Matt was perusing the men's shop and found two very nice shirts. One is a new, extremely soft fine-wale blue corduroy labeled "Bugatchi Uomo." These shirts normally sell for around $149, Matt paid $30. And he found a heavy linen teal green shirt for $13. I bought an elegant black satin Brooks Brothers blouse with french cuffs, like new, for $35. Goodbyes may not be the least expensive consignment shop, but if the item is in great condition, it's still a lot less expensive than retail. Consignment shopping can be a little hit and miss, but we usually find something. And the serendipity is fun, you never know what you'll find.




Four years ago, we were invited by our wonderful friends in Germany to their wedding. It was a two-week long celebration, culminating in a formal dinner and dance on the Rhine River. First thought: "What to wear?!!!" We headed straight to Goodbyes. Matt found this dashing Hugo Boss tuxedo and a YSL tuxedo shirt. And I found this elegant Ralph Lauren evening dress. The combined cost of both outfits? Around $300.

So, if you're a Bien Vestidista (or Vestidisto) and need some sparkle for a holiday party or simply want something new to wear and don't want to spend the big bucks, check out your local consignment shops. It's good for your look, your wallet and the environment.

1 comment:

  1. Sad to say, the closest thing we have to a consignment shop here in our little town is the Goodwill Store, and the pickins' are slim. Now, if I could find such a bargain as you and Matt found and if my hubby and I could look as elegant in our second-hand duds . . .

    ReplyDelete