Friday, January 18, 2013

DV DVD: The Eye Has to Travel



Another "It" girl having a major moment is Diana Vreeland. A fantastic documentary about her, The Eye Has to Travel, will be released on February 12 and is available for pre-order now. My fashion friend Karen and I saw it last year at the San Francisco Film Festival and loved every minute of it. The film is rich with fashion, style and personal inspiration. I can't wait to see it again.  There's also a terrific companion book to the documentary that I wrote about here.

To paraphrase Vreeland's outrageous and fun column in 1930's Harper's Bazaar, "Why don't you dress all in red (DV's favorite color) and have a girls night to watch "The Eye Has to Travel?"



In a recent article WWD called her the "Fashion Goddess" and in her just published, critically praised biography of Vreeland, author Amanda Mackenzie Stuart calls her the "Empress of Fashion." She is definitely fashion royalty. I haven't read the bio yet, but it's next on my list.

A Vreeland quote that I love: "I need a lot of fanfare, no question about it."




4 comments:

  1. I loved this movie and saw it on your recommendation. That husky voice when she needles George Plimpton! Their rapport was very amusing and the movie was terrific.
    I'm, like, #45 on the waiting list at the library for Grace Coddington's memoir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tipsy - I am number 8 on the list. I can pass my copy on to you when I'm done!

      Delete
  2. I read and re-read DV when it came out and can't wait to see the film. I am breathlessly waiting for the girls night!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a copy of Grace Coddington's memoir and happy to loan!

    ReplyDelete