Saturday, May 14, 2011

Packing for Paris


No more procrastinating. It's time to get serious and commit to what I'll be wearing for ten days in Paris. My Auntie and I had the good intentions of each taking only one carry-on. But we've gotten realistic and realized that's not going to happen. If we were moving around a lot, it would be the smart thing to do. But we're staying in one place, a little apartment in the Marais, so we can indulge in one medium size check-on each. 


There are many methods for packing. There's Rick Steves' packing list. It's detailed and he's got the basics. But he lost me at ONE PAIR OF SHOES?!!? I don't think so.  Then there's One Bag. But again, too basic for two Bien Vestidas in Paris. One Bag suggests two trousers or skirts. That's one on and one off. No, merci. 


So, I am seeking a balance of the luxury of having a variety of clothing items, but not so many that I feel bogged down and don't end up wearing half. I do enjoy the challenge. 


I have a file called Travel Clothes. It's where I've kept my packing lists from every trip since 2000. The lists are nothing fancy and somewhat idiosyncratic. When I get home from a trip, I mark on the list what was worth taking and what I could've done without. It helps inform me for the next trip. And since Matt and I travel to Mexico a lot, it makes packing each time a lot easier. 




For some reason, it helps me get started by deciding what I'll wear on the plane. That goes on the list first. Then I begin with categories: pants, jackets, skirts, dresses, tops, shoes, accessories/pj's/undies/socks. I lay everything on the bed or hang from a hook so I can see it all. Halfway through the categories my thinking begins to get muddles, so I begin listing possible outfits while thinking about my upcoming activities. For this trip, let's see, my activities will be eating delicious food in charming restaurants, drinking wine, walking a lot, enjoying cafes, people watching and lots of shopping, window and otherwise. Oui!


It's a bit of extra work, but I try on each outfit with accessories. The dress rehearsal helps me relax and know I'm bringing the right stuff. I can also double-check that each item works with at least several other items. I do all this in several short sessions instead of one big overwhelming session. 


So now to work on my packing list for Paris...

1 comment:

  1. I had no idea you had lists of things you packed! That is just great.

    ReplyDelete