Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Talisman Dressing

My lucky socks. They're starting to look a little worn!

I'm wearing my lucky socks right now. We're leaving on a flight to San Miguel de Allende, Mexico in a couple hours and these are the socks I like to wear when I begin a trip. It's not so much about the fear of flying, it's more about the whole journey. Things seem to go right when I wear them. They're comfortable,  they are the right thickness for my boots and having the Virgin of Guadalupe on them doesn't hurt either.


For the last couple of days I've taken an informal poll of friends, asking them if they have a lucky item they wear and if so, what is it and on what occasion do they wear it. It's about 50/50. Half of them said no, but from the other half, I got some great responses. Seems like luck is more than carrying a rabbit's foot, it's about something that one connects with a strong positive feeling. 


Belva: "I had a pair of red silk underwear with a small black flower. And everytime I wore them I had great sex."


John: "Red socks"


Debra T: "Lucky red shoes. I spotted them in a shop window and couldn't pass up. I also have a lucky hat. A Susan Hayes richly colored simple thing that went with everything. I gave it to a friend after she had chemotherapy. That means the luck is all the further reaching. Oh lucky me!"


Jennifer: "My mother's charm bracelet. It's very noisy--jangly--but for any occasion when I feel I need extra support, out comes the bracelet."


Debra L: "I actually have a bottle of TABU Dry Perfume by Dana that my dad bought me years ago in my little home town. I remember walking into the old style drugstore in downtown Salina, hanging out with my dad. It was a sweet experience and I think of him and feel nostalgic each time I wear this perfume."


Lizzie: "I'm more apt to select jewelry that is either a family heirloom or something very special, unique or beautiful.  For me it is the finishing touch to an outfit that makes me feel special and as a result shine when I wear it."


I'd love to know, do you have something that you wear because it's lucky?

1 comment:

  1. I'm so happy you are writing from Mexico. I so look forward to these blogs. Let's see, my talismans are not things I wear (although I do wish I had had a pair of red undies like Belva) but two things I carry in my wallet--a $2 bill my husband gave me when we first met, about 50 years ago, along with a snapshot of the two of us taken at that time. They're both tucked behind my driver's license in my wallet and have gone around the world with me several times.

    ReplyDelete